Thank you for choosing the City of Martinsville as the site for your special event!
If your event is open to the public, whether on private property or on public property, please utilize the questions below to ensure that your event is safe, successful, and compliant with all local ordinances and state statutes. Events open to the public and on city owned property or streets requires permission from the city manager. It is suggested that you submit your special event request application at least two months prior to your planned event.
If you are requesting to have a special event open to the public and on city owned property or that requires street closures, please complete and submit the Special Events Application below and submit it Community Development Office:
The special event request application will be shared with other city departments and state agencies to ensure compliance with local ordinances and state statutes.
No event request will be approved that is submitted less than thirty (30) days prior to the event date.
- Will you hold your event on a city street or in a city park or parking lot?
- Do you have insurance coverage for this event with a minimum of $1,000,000 in general liability coverage listing the City of Martinsville as an additional insured party on the policy?
- Have you submitted a plan to the Police Department to control parking, crowds, and vehicular traffic?
- Have you submitted a plan to the Fire Marshal detailing fire and rescue arrangements?
- Do you require assistance from the Sheriff's Motorcycle Brigade for parade escort assistance?
- Will your event require street closures?
- Have you made arrangements for trash clean-up and removal?
- Will your event require utility services beyond those available at the site?
- Will you erect tents, stages or other temporary outdoor structures?
- Will you have amusement rides and devices that may include but are not limited to carnival rides, inflatables, climbing walls, etc.?
- Will you use a sign to advertise your special event?
- Will you sell or serve beer, wine and/or liquor?
- Will either you, or food vendors participating in the event, prepare and/or offer any food products, free or for sale, that will be for public consumption?
- Will food vendors be selling or offering home-canned or processed food items (including jams, jellies, honey, preserved food, etc) or making apple butter?
- Will you be selling merchandise or food?
- Will you be conducting dances at your business location?
- Is your event accessible for people with disabilities?
- Have you completed all the above requirements that you answered "yes" to?